The lead in the different projects on the Caucasus and especially the Greater Caucasus are at the Department of Geosciences at the University of Fribourg in Switzerland. The team of Prof. Jon Mosar has established an international network of research teams that work in and on the Caucasus. Collaboration is now with teams from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Russia.
The collaboration between the different teams and the resulting research projects were made possible through different funding tools: MEBE; DARIUS; SCOPES-FNS (Switzerland), University of Fribourg (Switzerland).
We were thus able to implement a series of projects centered on the Greater Caucasus tectonics:
- The Greater Caucasus _ Natural Geodynamic Laboratory (UNIFR)
- Greater Caucasus Tectonic and Paleotectonic Evolution (Azerbaijan, Georgia, Russia) (FNS-SCOPES 2014-2017)
- Caucasus Tectonics : A GIS-based tectonic map of the Greater and Lesser Caucasus area (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgian, and Russia) – (FNS-SCOPES 2009-2013)
- The Eastern Greater Caucasus: Geodynamics of an active mountain belt at the cross-road of Europe, Middle-East and Asia – (FNS-SCOPES 2006-2009)
- Tectonics of Central Greater Caucasus (DARIUS – 2010-2013)
- Tectonics of Greater Caucasus Azerbaijan (MEBE 2002-2009)
- Tectonics of NW Slopes of the Greater Caucasus – From the mountain core (Elbrus) to the Foreland (Stavropol High) (DARIUS 2010-2013)
- Tectonics of the Eastern Greater Caucasus in Azerbaijan (PhD UNIV. FRIBOURG 2011)
- Tectonics in the Greater Caucasus (UNIFR – Master Projects UNIV. FRIBOURG 2006, 2007, 2017, 2018)